Proper Steps to Help Keep Your Plumbing From Freezing During Winter Temperatures
Keeping your plumbing system from freezing during winter is crucial in ensuring a safe and comfortable home. Here in New Jersey, temperatures can quickly turn for the worse, and you need to be prepared in multiple ways. For example, we get calls all the time for burst pipes, but did you know that these burst pipes could, in most cases, be prevented? Let’s look at how to prevent your pipes from freezing and bursting.
Things to Do to Keep Your Pipes from Freezing
When winter temperatures drop below freezing, it is important to prevent your plumbing from freezing. Here are some proper steps you can take:
- Insulate pipes and exposed water tanks before winter sets in. Insulating your pipes is the most effective way to prevent them from freezing. Use pipe insulation sleeves, wrap pipes with heat tape, or use foam insulation to wrap around pipes. Then, the pipes are less likely to freeze and break by blocking the cold temperatures.
- Open faucets slowly to allow a slow trickle of water. This will keep the water flowing and help prevent them from freezing over completely. Letting your faucet can help relieve pressure in the pipes and prevent them from freezing. Even a small drip can make a difference.
- Keep Your Home Warm: Keeping the temperature inside your home above freezing will help prevent your pipes from freezing. If you leave your home for an extended period, set your thermostat to at least 55°F. When you are not home, keep your thermostat above freezing temperature, around 55 degrees. This will ensure the building has enough heat to keep the pipes from freezing over should there be a cold spell while you are gone.
- Seal any cracks or openings around your home that may allow cold air inside – for example, around doors and windows that open into the outside world. Also, go around the foundation and be sure there aren’t any vents directly in front of a pipe.
- Open cabinet doors to expose the plumbing when gone, and the forecast calls for colder temperatures. Open cabinet doors under sinks and other areas where pipes are located to allow warm air to circulate and prevent pipes from freezing.
- Shut off Outdoor Water Supply: Shut off the outdoor water supply and drain any water remaining in outdoor pipes, hoses, and sprinkler systems.
Following these steps can help prevent your plumbing from freezing during winter temperatures. Winter can be hard on your pipes, but with some maintenance, you should get through it without an issue. Muccia Plumbing, Heating & AC can help if you have a burst pipe. Call 201-343-1414 today to get started.
What to Do If You Have a Burst Pipe
While you have done all the preventative steps, you still had a pipe burst. That’s not a problem. Our emergency plumbing service is only a phone call away. However, you will need to do a few things in the meantime. The first and foremost important thing is to shut off the water. If you are on city water, this may be outside your home or in the basement. You need to locate the shut-off valve and turn the valve so that it is perpendicular to the pipe. This will shut off the water to the whole house, so you know.
Next, you’ll need to clean the mess up. This could be simple if the burst pipe were caught early. However, if it burst while you were away, it might be time to call the insurance company. Again, clean-up can be simple at first, but if the water has been there for several days or longer, you’ll need a water restoration company to help.
Call Muccia Plumbing, Heating & AC
When you have a burst pipe, we can help! Our experts work with home and business owners to ensure their plumbing and HVAC systems are up and working correctly. Remember, not all plumbing companies are the same. Be sure that you take the time to find someone knowledgeable about your type of plumbing, ac, or HVAC repair. Muccia Plumbing, Heating & AC is there to help our clients get their homes or business running at their best, from air conditioning installation to burst pipes.
We are only a phone call away and can be there quickly should you have a plumbing or HVAC emergency. Regarding plumbing companies in Beren County, NJ, we are one of the best. Our team is licensed, trained, and backed with years of experience working on various HVAC and plumbing systems. Furthermore, we take the time to determine the best course of action in each situation. Call 201-343-1414 today!
About Muccia Plumbing, Heating & AC
Exclusively Serving Bergen County, New Jersey
Michael Muccia is a Master Plumber and the owner and operator of Muccia Plumbing, Heating & AC. Muccia Plumbing, Heating & AC is a full-service Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) service company based in and serving Bergen County, NJ, since 1978. The Muccia Plumbing, Heating & AC team of trained and certified service technicians offers various services, including general plumbing and heating maintenance, for residential and commercial clients.
Whatever your plumbing, heating, air conditioning, or ventilation needs are, it’s easier with Muccia Plumbing, Heating & AC. We treat our customers, large and small, with the best service in the industry. We know you have a choice when considering an HVAC company, and no matter what we do for you, we treat it as the most crucial job in our history. Our experience proves that we know how to work efficiently, which keeps costs low, uses only the best components within budget, and stands behind the work we do.
Muccia Plumbing, Heating & AC has locations in the following areas: